about parks and bandshells

Posted by Dorian Compton

Centennial Park is in Nashville, Tennessee. It has a replica of the Parthenon, a small island upon which sits a military plane visitors can walk into, acres of gorgeous green scenery and a bandshell. I had never paid much attention to the bandshell, never having been to a concert before, until one Sunday when a local band was playing. I had heard them in venues around the city but not in the park so I set the home security alarm (Securitychoice.com) and took off for the park.
It was a mild Sunday in May when Heat appeared in the bandshell. We sat on blankets, my boyfriend and I, to listen. Crowds of tourists were enjoying the park and the Parthenon, exclaiming over the pretty island and wondering if an airplane was an awful thing to see inside. Some wandered over to the bandshell when they heard music and soon the crowd was awesome. We were rocking to the most popular songs of 1980, when the Cars and My Sharona were big. The crowd was dancing on a beautiful day to good music.
Heat was a great band at that time, although I'm sure they're not together anymore. They didn't go professional like another local band did, called The Fabulous Thunderbirds. Heat's music was more personality than covering the popular songs because they were funny and joking.

No comments:

Post a Comment